Friday, October 27, 2017

Poetry Prompt #50: Harvest-Theme Poetry

For this week, I want you to write a theme poem.  Your poem must have something to do with harvest / fall.   If you brainstorm this topic, you should come up with a huge plethora of material.  My own idea list includes everything from pumpkins to colors to the various Fall holidays.

Here is a poem written by Carl Sandburg.  His poem encumbers quite a few different fall elements:

THEME IN YELLOW

I SPOT the hills
With yellow balls in autumn.
I light the prairie cornfields
Orange and tawny gold clusters
And I am called pumpkins.
On the last of October
When dusk is fallen
Children join hands
And circle round me
Singing ghost songs
And love to the harvest moon;
I am a jack-o'-lantern
With terrible teeth
And the children know
I am fooling.



You can follow the example of Sandburg and include many things from your list, or you can choose just one subject and allow that idea to bloom on paper.