Saturday, October 14, 2017

Poetry Prompt #49: A Text Message Poem

This one should be fun and easy!

Write a prose poem in the form of a text message.  Each message should include the next line and / or stanza, or paragraph (depending on how you wish to write it). 

Make casual use of language here, as if you were really just conversing with a friend.



Here is an example of my own to get you started:


Jenny Had a One Night Stand

Sent (2:27) I did it tonight, I really did it.

Sent (2:29) I was just sitting there smoking a cigarette, legs crossed, fiddling with my drink like a regular old bar maid when he approached me.

Sent (2:32) He asked me to dance and I pushed my head toward his face, really close like people do when they can't really hear.  Only, I could hear, I was just trying to flirt.  He was a cute guy.  A nerd.  The sort you'd find dousing their bran of comics at the corner of Barnes and Noble.  His vintage tie was totally hipster, not to mention the glossy seventies look to his plaid pants.

Sent (2:35) He was just my type, and so I insisted.  I said to him, "I was never much for dancing, I sorta just sway.  But I got this cool place right around the corner and my roommate is away...."

Sent (2:37) The rest is really history.  Honestly, I can't remember much after the vodka and juice.  Only the Dear John letter he left.  He said I was the best.  He said he had to get back to his wife this morning, to excuse his lack of manners.

Sent (2:43) Are you there Meg?  Are you listening?  I didn't even get his name!