You might ponder that in order to write, or focus, one should not listen to music, watch tv, etc. And while I agree with the whole TV and ridding yourself of distractions, I first began writing while listening to music (and this was years ago, mind you).
Music stimulates creativity in the same way that reading poetry or prose by your favorite author might trigger a new idea or aid you in drawing abstract parallels you might not have otherwise made connections with.
Personally, music allows me to totally inhabit whatever mood I'm either feeling, or trying to portray through words. And just as piece of writing (particularly poetry or prose from another) might inspire you, so can the words and the sounds of music.
Here are a handful of my favorite songs I write to, depending on the subject matter I'm trying to explore. Musical lyrics have really been a mainstay in my writing since the beginning. They always allow me to inhabit another plane of thought, especially when I'm suffering from writers block or lack of inspiration. Oftentimes I've written of characters in songs, or written poetic stories about what I think might have happened in a song, or the events that may have inspired a song.
If you've never written to music, I suggest you give it a try. It might be just what you need in order to write your next piece of meaningful verse. You can try some of the songs below, or go ahead and create your own 'writer's playlist.'
My Writer's Playlist
1. “The Trapeze Swinger” by Iron and Wine
2. “32 Flavors” by Ani DiFranco
3. “Yellow” by Coldplay
4. “Come Undone” by Duran Duran
5. “Heartbeats” by The Knife
6. “Don’t Confess” by Tegan and Sara
7. “There is a Light That Never Goes Out” by The Smiths
8. “Holocene” by Bon Iver
9. “Sex Tourists” by French Kicks
10. “1979” by Smashing Pumpkins
11. “Sleepyhead” by Passion Pit
12. “Kids” by MGMT
13. “Return to Innocence” by Enigma
14. “Hello Seattle” by Owl City
15. “Paradise” by Wild Nothing
16. “Hear Me Out” by Frou Frou
17. “Take Me Out” by Franz Ferdinand
18. “Heart Songs” by Weezer
19. “Sleeping In” by The Postal Service
20. “Daylight” Matt and Kim
21. “Counting Blue Cars” by Dishwalla
22. “Starlight” by Muse23. “Cigarettes” by Sick of Sarah
24. "Set Fire to the Third Bar" by Snow Patrol
25. "Kiss the Rain" by Billie Myers