Saturday, November 14, 2015

Poetry Prompt #41: What Makes You Anxious?

As an individual who has suffered from severe anxiety/panic attacks, my writing has always served a safe haven for which I could throw my fears into.

Anxiety can be debilitating.  Just as much so as disorders like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Bi-Polar Disorder (for which I've intermittently suffered both).

However, those of us who suffer Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (or just a problem with over-thinking, or nightmares of our fears, the haunting reverie of bad memories), fears and anxieties can drag us down by our ankles.  A perceived fear, the nuisance of a 'worry' can be just as frightening as the real thing.

As a psychologist, I know these things all too real.  From a personal perspective with clinical insight, I know how fear and anxiety controls, censors, keeps the colors of life from being as vibrant as what they really are.

So for today, I encourage you to write about what makes you anxious.  Write about the things you worry about, the things that haunt you.  Write about what keeps you awake at night while the rest of the world falls into the soft escape of slumber.  Write about the things that have covered your heart of scars.  Write about why it's okay to not always be so brave.  Think about something specific that's really hurting your heart or stealing your thunder....and write away.

I have included this lovely song by Maria Taylor.  It's titled Xanax.  I don't know how many people I have shared this song with and their immediate reaction was, "Oh, that is a song about drugs."  This couldn't be farther from the truth.

Some songs are meant to be listened to for the words, the music accompanying a mere atmospheric background to set the stage.  This is one such song.


This song is a beautiful recollection of one girl's anxieties.  Watch the video, read the lyrics.



                  

Xanax
By Maria Taylor


Afraid of an airplane
Of a car swerving in the lane
Of a dark cloud too low
Or being swept away by the undertow
Of a building tumbling down
Of the train when it's underground
Of the icy mountain roads
We have to take to get to the show


There's just a time when we must all let go the breath that we hold
There's just a time when we must all let go the breath that we hold
You know, the unknown we have to let go


Afraid when the phone rings
Another breath of life has ceased
It seems it's just lost so easily

Afraid my heart, it beats too slow
Or that I died and just didn't know
Or of a fate I will have to choose
And I'm afraid of how much I love you


There's just a time when we must all let go the breath that we hold
There's just a time when we must all let go the breath that we hold
You know, the unknown we have to let go


It's just now that I've found a place where I can breathe
It's just now that I've found a place where I can sleep
It's just now that I've found a place where I can breathe
It's just now that I've found a place where I can sleep
It's just now that I've found a place where I can breathe
It's just now that I've found a place where I can sleep
It's just now that I've found a place where I can breathe
It's just now that I've found a place where I can sleep


Now it's your turn.  Write your wiles away! I hope you find that writing about your anxieties helps to alleviate them at least a bit.