Sunday, June 21, 2015

'Warning the Stars' #27: Ode to the Appalachia

I was raised among the foothills of the Appalachian mountains in Eastern Kentucky.  Currently,  I reside there.

There's just a certain sort of magic about my homeland...the myths, the folklore, the whimsical stories of our forefathers, the gigantic trees of the hillsides youth.



I roamed the hills of this land freely as a child...among huge oak trees, thistle, wildflower, wild berries...most days in bare feet.  I calmly pat the heads of wild animals, caught un-captive creatures (only to later release them back into the wilderness of their homes).  It was inside this wild, natural habitat that my imagination grew wings and came alive.  It was these mountains that first called my heart to create, to write.

So this week, I encourage you to pay homage to the wonderful rifts and valleys of the Appalachian area.  Personify her greenery, tell her story by incorporating at least TEN of the words in the word list below (of course use more, or use them all if you wish!).  You may also use the picture above for inspiration.

The Word List:

Ireland
music
beasts
evening
sky
underworld-dark
tea
attic
winters
pitch-black
language
silvery
lithe
rivers
silence
savage
acres
peace

1 comment: