Wednesday, December 17, 2014

15 Ways to Make (And Keep) Better New Years Resolutions

The new year is mere weeks away and I've already been working on my 'New Years Resolutions.'

I know a lot of people look down on resolutions and bucket lists as time-wasters and view a list of long-term goals as  a sum of good intentions/wishes that never really get carried out.  I, however, do not.  I see the new year as a time to look at my life with fresh eyes.  A form of 'starting over' again.  A time to reflect upon the past year, to learn from it and then focus on ways I wish to grow in the upcoming year.

I've been writing new years resolutions for a few years now, I've achieved some and failed at others.  I have found, over time, that rather I achieve a goal or not doesn't really depend on how hard the goal is or how long it will take, but rather on the focus, importance, dedication, and patience I put into turning my list of yearly goals into reality.

Below is a list of pointers pertaining to making a list of new years resolutions that are achievable.  For a more successful year, keep the following tips in mind as you create your goals for 2015:

1.  Be clear about what you do and do not want.

2.  Be realistic about your goals.

3.  Prioritize the really important things.

4.  Eliminate the unnecessary...things that do not serve you (bad habits, time-fillers like TV watching, unhealthy relationships).

5.  For each resolution you make, ask yourself "what meaning does this have for me?"

6. Review your list often.  Scan it at least once a day to keep yourself motivated.

7.  Don't give up just because you mess up...restart on a goal as many times as needed.

8.  Apply some strategy.  Break the big goal up into smaller ones.  What will you do each month, each week, each day, to ensure you reach that goal?

9.  Be patient, real change occurs over a period of time, not right away.

10.  Be persistent and ready to stick it out for the long haul...remember, you'll be working on your goals all year!

11.  Make sure to schedule some 'me' time every now and then.  Not only will all work and no play make you dull, it will also wear you down and you might end up giving up.

12.  Take things slowly...you won't be able to do and change and create and write and work on everything at once.

13.  Find little ways to motivate yourself...quotes, uplifting vidoes (try TED talks on motivation), success stories of others who have already accomplished the goal(s) you are working towards.

14.  Cheer yourself on, everyday!  Each time you make a positive change (no matter how small), each milestone you cross...remember to thank yourself for all your hard work.  Tell yourself to keep going.

15.  Be kind to yourself.  Don't beat yourself up if you mess up...just refocus and start again.  It's okay sometimes to do nothing, to relax, to unwind.  Allow yourself some downtime sometimes.