Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Original Inspirational Almanac

Writing means____.


Affirmations and Resolutions
What I write matters and what I say needs to have it's space. No words are wrong.”


Tidbits of History
Did you know yesterday was National Ferris Wheel Day as well as National Have a Heart Day? I suppose I can dig the bit about the heart, what with the whole Valentines day fiasco. However, I cannot fathom riding a Ferris wheel in this frigid weather!

Today is National Gumdrop Day and Single Awareness Day. If you're single, why not go to the local grocer and celebrate with some gumdrops? I typically prefer the old fashioned ones that that are sugary-hard on the outside, the ones you can still sometimes find in the quarter machines. And if you're not single? Maybe share your gumdrops with the one who has your heart!


The Literary Greats Said
Snow flurries began to fall and they swirled around people's legs like house cats. It was magical, this snow globe world.”                                
                   
~Sarah Addison Allen


Journalution For You
Considering the information covered today, think back to your very first childhood experience with the Ferris wheel. Where was it? Who were you with? Did you get butterflies in your belly as the cart swirled across the top threshold and winded back to the bottom again?

What about gumdrops and gumdrop machines? Did you rush to the corner store as a kid just to buy those incredible one-cent gumdrops? How about the little gumdrop machines? I actually still enjoy getting toys from those when I go to restaurants.  I particularly get a thrill from knowing that I have no idea which 'prize' I'm going to get when it drops! How about you?


Write Myself Some Poetry
Write about the heart. What things are symbolic of the heart? Pen a poem about love and relationships, or perhaps a present or past Valentines day.

I love the quote I've included about winter. Write about your own winter. Do you have snow outside your window? What does the personal snow globe of your world look like? Write about about a snowstorm, or snow falling beneath the twilight outside your window. What does it look like, how does it make you feel?


The Word Pile
love, decay, burn, oblivion, supernova, cloudy, chance, candlelight, vintage, heart, teapot, hourglass


  I Need to Remind Myself To
Ride Ferris wheels more often (given the opportunity arises). Also, to be brave in the face of things that might scare me, not just rickety amusement park rides! After all, it is the things that challenge us that allow us to grow and live more deeply.

Challenge Accepted?
Today I challenge you to do something that scares you. Or, you can eat gum drops and express your love to someone. If you're feeling energetic, why not do both?


Here's to hoping you have a happy week full of sweets and true hearts and plenty of creative juices to tease your pallet!